Painting the fascia on the eaves - it's time to break out the scaffolding.

Time to paint the fascia, windows, and even the basketball backboard.

I don't mind heights, but my 24 foot ladder was feeling a little shaky when I climbed to the top of the roofline.  So, if I was going to paint the fascia, I was going to do it safely, which meant renting scaffolding.

I have used scaffolding before, but always with someone's help.  I was on my own.  Yesterday I went to the equipment rental place and grabbed enough of it to do the job.  Putting it together was a little hard, but nothing I couldn't manage.  I can also climb it, although I find that my body can't move around scaffolding the way it used to. I am slower, have tender spots where weight-bearing is a bad idea, and don't have the range of motion or strength of a guy in his 30s.  And yet I seem to be making progress.

The good news is that I should be done in a few days.  My goal is to get one section done each day; there are 5 sections in all.  I use a wire brush and sander to prep the wood fascia, then prime it with an outdoor primer, and add a coat of outdoor white paint.  So far, so good.

I will finish painting this first section tonight and then move the scaffold to the left and begin the second section.  Then I have to disassemble it all, move it to the other side of the house, and begin again.  Plus I have two windows left to paint; I will get those done next week.

I have a few other projects to do this winter.  I won't start them until November, though.  At least I won't need any scaffolding.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark