Western tanager - three sightings in two days!

Western tanager eating an insect, Kentucky / Alleyne Provincial Park near Merritt, BC.

I remember seeing my first western tanager many years ago; it was at a distance, but the moment remains burned in my mind.  It was a long time before my second sighting, and then, while camping near Merritt, I saw one on three separate occasions.  

The above photo was the first of the three encounters.  I must have gotten forty photos.  The cool thing was that it saw an insect about ten feet away from me; it flew down from the tree, picked it up, and returned.  That was an amazing moment!  

The second encounter happened while I was paddling my kayak.  I was near the shore of Kentucky Lake when a tanager flew down, landed in the water, and started bathing.  I brought a camera and long lens with me for just such an opportunity (I keep it in a case or a waterproof bag) and took more photos.  One is below.

Western tanager bathing in the cold waters of Kentucky Lake.

The third encounter was near our campsite.  We were out for a walk and a tanager flew into a grove of trees.  I pointed it out to a nearby camper who was taken in by the bird's vibrant colours.  

What a great experience it was to see these birds in such quick succession.  

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

ACE - Adverse Childhood Experiences - and you.