My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark


Am I going to disturb a species I am photographing enough to negatively affect its relationship with the ecosystem?  This is an important ethical question that needs to be asked when looking to photograph a particular species.  And it's one that I don't think we do nearly often enough.

I recognize the desire to capture remarkable images; I have been in search of premium photos the bulk of my adult life.  There is the personal connection - just the joy associated with doing something well and the praise we seek when others recognize it.  There is the professional connection - doing something as part of a job, assignment, or class.  Then there is the financial connection - the hope to win a contest, publish an image, or sell prints.  

These are all worthy goals in their own right, but none of them should be the reason behind disturbing a species, especially ones that are endangered or are at a critical period in their life cycle.  Essentially it boils down to doing harm.  If I need to harm a species in order to obtain the photos I desire, it is better not to do it at all.

The photograph I took of the western meadowlark is a good example.  I submitted a query on the Facebook group British Columbia Birds about where I might find this species.  There were numerous replies and one responder indicated that I would find them along Beaver Lake Road in Lake Country.  I was out that was today on another matter and thought I would bring my camera and long lens along.  I was glad I did.

The birds themselves are not endangered (low concern category as identified by the website All About Birds).  They were on the side of the roadway; I hear their distinctive calls as I drove through the area and stopped when I saw one sitting on a fence post.  I even shot it from the comfort of my truck.  It flew away afterwards and I photographed a few other ones a little later.  I did not have to harass them, stock them, or lie in wait for hours to get the perfect photo.  The ones I got were fine for me, not award winners, but I am happy with them.

Thank you to those who gave me such insight.  I understand that it is not a good idea to share owl locations as they do get bothered by some who are not concerned for the birds' welfare.  The same is true for birds that are endangered, easily bothered (nesting birds are a good example), or rare in certain parts.  If you are not sure if your behaviour is ethical, it is a good idea to ask.  People are only too happy to point out if something is a bad idea or not.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.