Excited about my new system: Nikon Z6iii and 180-600 mm Z lens: Its for the birds.

Eastern kingbird feeding a dragonfly to chicks, Creston, BC.

If you know me at all or have followed my photography blogs, you know that a lot of the shooting I do involves birds.  My bird interest stems from my infatuation with all wildlife, but birds are by far the most common and varied group.  I have, for many years (30, at least), kept a camera system dedicated to shooting wildlife.  My equipment has ranged from film (F90x and 150-600 Tamron) through every digital camera system I have owned.  For the last number of years, it has been my reliable D500 and 500 mm PF prime.  However, I got a new system as of yesterday.

It's the Nikon Z6iii (see image below), the Z180-600 mm zoom, and the Z1.4 TC (teleconverter).  I have yet to play with it seriously, but there are a few features that led me to making this purchase.  These include:

  • faster frame rate (20 fps raw format)
  • lower noise at high ISO (I shot at an ISO of 2000 and the noise was unnoticeable)
  • fast and precise focus (has an ultra-fine spot focus better than my D500)
  • super fast 3D tracking - it will be able to keep up with erratic birds in flight
  • it has a wildlife mode with bird recognition - it finds the bird's eye(s) and focuses
  • large buffer - I can shoot 200 photos continuously without a special memory card
  • full frame vs DX (crop sensor) and 24 mp - reason for the low noise
My new Nikon equipment that I am looking forward to using.


I should be able to acquire focus faster, track birds in flight better, get more shots in focus, and end up with better shots than what I have so far achieved.  

I am keeping my D500 system for now as it is a very good back up system and I can use the 500 mm PF lens on the Z6iii with my FTZ adapter.  We will be doing a cruise later in the year and I don't want to miss the opportunity of a lifetime.  It is also a DX camera, meaning that the sensor has a 1.5x crop factor, so my 500 behaves like a 750.  I will miss that.

The D500 is an excellent camera.  It is weather sealed, has a long battery life, and works with most of my old Nikon lenses that I still have.  It is the best D-series camera I have ever owned.  

I will be posting more images shortly, many will hopefully be taken with the Z6iii kit.  

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark