Birds I saw today on and around Wood Lake

Bald eagle, Common loon, Red-winged blackbird, Osprey, Tree swallow
American coot, California quail, Brewer's blackbird, Great blue heron

Wood Lake boasts quite a population of birds.  On the isthmus between Kalmalaka Lake and Wood Lake, there is a large, undeveloped area with marshes.  Then there is Kaloya Provincial Park, a sanctuary for many bird species; I photographed the only caliope hummingbirds I ever saw there.  The Okanagan Rail Trail is surrounded by woodlands or set beside water and is also a haven for wildlife.  

There are numerous campsites for weary travellers; we are staying at Wood Lake RV Park, a place we have spent many a day at.  The creek running through the campground is a protected waterway for Kakanee salmon.  Numerous birds rely on the creek for water; a number of ducks breed there.  Yesterday we saw a pair of wood ducks there.

The birds in the image above were photographed by me, and they are representative of what I saw for the purposes of this blog.  However, none of the images were taken here on the related date.

I am looking forward to what today will bring.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark