Yellow-headed blackbirds in Kelowna

I edited the image to get an unobstructed view of the yellow-headed blackbird.

It's always nice to see yellow-headed blackbirds, especially when you have others with you who have never seen them.  Although Canada has a fair assortment of colourful birds, few of them are as stark as these ones.  The three others I was with were visibly excited getting their first glimpse.  What made it better was the fact that I captured these colourful creatures on camera.

We hiked up the back of Knox Mountain in Kelowna and came to a pond I frequently visit.  There were the usual red-wings, coots, and a variety of ducks, but the appearance of the yellow-heads was new to even me.  I have seen the birds before, but never here and never in Kelowna.

The best photo I took was of a yellow-headed blackbird with a dragonfly, but there was a reed blocking a good view of it.  In post, I used Photoshop to improve the image, but it is hard when missing important details like the eye.  So I found another image with the bird (inset) and copied that part over.  Then I used the clone tool to fix up the rest of the bird.  Overall, the result is pleasing.

Over the years I have seen red-head ducks, rough-winged swallows, yellow-rumped warblers, and many other bird species.  It has always been a good place to visit and never disappoints me.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark