Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

My daughter, Leanne, enjoying our hike on Knox Mountain in Kelowna

Each of us goes through hills and valleys, sometimes even mountains and canyons, on our sojourn through life.  Joyous moments seem to last but an instant while depressing lows can crawl along at the pace of a handicapped snail.  Fortunately, it seems, that the bulk of life is about maintenance and upkeep, of both self and invested interests.  It is during that metaphoric walk on the plains of life that an abrupt change in topography occurs, often without warning.

I love my daughter.  As a parent, I have watched her grow and borne witness to those life events that have both blessed and haunted her.  Where my wife and I could, we have supported her in the difficult times and celebrated with her in the good.  I would like to think that we have made the valleys less daunting and the peaks even higher.  

A recent personal setback has left her reeling, yet she still finds moments to enjoy life and enjoy those things that it offers to those who look for them.  Our hike yesterday along the back of Knox Mountain, a 4 km walk that we can access on foot from our place, offered me a glimpse into her grabbing one of those moments.

The yellow Okanagan sunflowers (arrowleaf balsamroot) were in full bloom and the sun provided an ideal opportunity to climb the mountain.  It's funny how the mountain was both a real slope and a metaphoric rise in pleasure.  It seemed with the elevation gain came a lightening of spirit and enhancement of mood.

I love the above photo because it shows her grabbing that moment when it came.  The sudden feeling of release and freedom expressed in a twirl amid the sun and flowers.  That's her, my daughter, enjoying the moment with the valley just yards away.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.