Hairy woodpecker beside path; ignores everyone.

One of the reasons I like to do my birding along set pathways is because many of the birds are used to the presence of humans. People, for the most part, show interest in the birds but leave them alone. The birds learn that there is nothing to fear from humans, even when modest interest is directed towards them. When a bird is present, it is less likely to flee at any undue interest or approach. This isn't always true, but it way in this particular case.

I had gone as far as desired and decided it was time to turn around and head back along the same trail. It wasn't too long before I heard the distinctive sound of a woodpecker hacking away at deadwood. I slowed down, looking for it, and continued my progression along the path. The more I progressed, the louder the sound got. Still though, there was no visual confirmation of what I expected to find. Immediately beside the path was a dead tree, maybe four inches in diameter. As soon as I came alongside the tree I saw the woodpecker; it was facing the tree in the opposite direction that I was moving in. At that moment we were less than two feet apart. We never saw each other earlier because the tree was directly between us.

I have been in similar situations before. When the moment came where we could see each other the bird would fly off in an alarmed state. This time, it was different. She kept about her business as if I didn't exist. Either this was one really focused bird or it was completely comfortable around humans.

I decided the best plan was to continue on my walk, which I did, and came to a stop some ten feet away. I turned around to face the industrious creature and brought my camera to bear. The sun was, at this moment, at my back, so the lighting was excellent. I found I was actually too close, an unusual complaint. I was using a 500 mm on an APS-C sensor camera and couldn't get the whole bird in my viewfinder. I backed up a little more and rotated around the tree so that I could photograph her from the side rather than from the back. Again, she did not mind in the least that I was paying so much interest in her activities and continued her search for the wood-bearing creatures that make up most of her diet.

Two or three minutes later a couple with a black lab came along, traveling in the same direction I was. I put my finger to my lips and pointed at the woodpecker. They acknowledged its presence and continued quietly past it and then me. Again, the woodpecker did not flinch at the prospect of being close to now a pair of humans and a dog to boot. I watched her in fascination for a few more minutes then left, heading home. I could hear the sound of drumming fading away as I hastened along.

If I had come across her in the bush where the acclimation to people could not occur, I doubt I would have had this experience. I think it is important to respect all wildlife and leave them alone; we can live in harmony with nature if we try. It doesn't work though when a few individuals spoil it for the rest of us. This is one of the things I hope to accomplish with my blogs and photography - helping others to respect and appreciate the nature that surrounds us.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.