Spotted tanager - so many different tanager species!
![]() |
| Spotted tanager at the San Diego Zoo. |
I have, until two days ago, ever only seen one species of tanager. The western tanager, the male, a stunning orange and yellow bird, even came to visit me at home once. But I was unaware of other tanager species. And then I went to the San Diego Zoo.
The field guide of the Birds of Mexico and Central America shows 22 different species of tanager. The aviary held four different species of tanager; I managed to photograph two of them. I included the plate below. None of the four listed are found in North or Central America.
![]() |
| Plaque at one of the aviaries showing different species present. Notice the 4 tanager species. |
Honeycreepers used to belong to a different taxonomic group, but have recently been added to the tanagers. There are two on the info plaque above, three listed in the book I referenced. I don't currently have access to the internet, but there must be dozens of related species, perhaps hundreds.
Tanagers and their kin are a "neotropical species," meaning that they mainly exist equitorially. Some species, like the western tanager, migrate to more extreme latitudes. They show seasonal plumage changes; the neotropical ones do not.
Most tanagers are fond of fruits, seeds, and insects, the latter especially during breeding season. Honeycreepers take nectar.
My understanding of tanagers has taken a leap, now being aware of many dozens of species that previously went unnoticed by me. I may not ever see a different species in the wild, but perhaps it is enough to have seen some in captivity.
Thanks for reading.
Eric Svendsen www.ericspix.com


Comments
Post a Comment