San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge - A fun photo project.

San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge - A fun photo project.

When visiting San Francisco, especially by boat, you have to see the Golden Gate Bridge.  I mean that in both the literal sense, in that you pass directly under it on your way into the harbour, and in the figurative sense, in that it is such an icon that it's just one of the things that has to be done.

I decided to do a series on the famous architecture; I made a point of photographing it from many points of view.  The time and transportation limited us to exploring it visually from only a few angles, but it was still enough to come away with satisfying results.  We walked for 4 or 5 kilometers, maybe more, from the south entrance of the bridge to the marina to the east.  I originally wanted to explore the southwestern section, but it was fenced off and inaccessible.

The area was busy, with plenty of cars, pedestrians, and people on all types of personal transportation devices.  Along the way, we crossed paths with lots of people walking dogs; the reminder of Murphy recovering in hospital was still close to our hearts.  The people were friendly enough, happily giving directions or offering information, and the day was both brilliant and warm.

For me, the highlight was the marsh that I wrote about previously, as it held an impressive variety of birds, some I had never seen before.  Had we been there a few days earlier, it was a birder's paradise, there being quite an impressive collection of migrants that would soon be on their way.

Kathryn enjoyed seeing the sea lions on Pier 39, again in a previous blog, and she was engaged in a long conversation with a dog walker while I was happily clicking away with my camera.

Throughout our walk, the Golden Gate Bridge was on the horizon, its stately spires declaring their intention to support the bridge cables to the end of time.  What a great backdrop to our first visit to San Francisco.  It's too bad we had to leave later that day; there was much more to explore.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

ACE - Adverse Childhood Experiences - and you.