Remembering Mrs. Linda Graham, Garibaldi Secondary School teacher

Left:  A Zentangle name card made by Mrs. Graham for me.  Right:  A GSS yearbook photo of her.

Did Mrs. Graham ever make a you a name card like the one shown above?  She made one for me, it was something I saw her often working at.  A Zentangle is a "relaxing art method used to create abstract, structured black-and-white patterns called tangles on small paper squares." (Google)  I think she found them relaxing and enjoyed making them for people.  She would laminate them afterwards and give them to their namesake.  

She cared for people, was a respected teacher and colleague, and taught at Garibaldi for a number of years.  I always enjoyed her company.  The cards that she made for people spoke of her care for others.  If you notice, it is signed, "L L.G."  I think it stands for "Love, Linda Graham."  I never saw her as emotional or conflicted, but I am sure she must have had challenges in her life.

She was a heavy smoker; I remember she would take her breaks out in her car with a cigarette.  We were in the middle of a strike one school year when we got word that Linda had passed away.  It came suddenly.  It wasn't cancer.  I do not know the cause of her passing, but it may very well have been due to her smoking habit.  We all felt the loss.  There was a heavy pall in the air as we gathered together at the picket line.  

I cannot find any reference to Linda Graham on the internet.  No photos.  No mention of her as a teacher anywhere.  I think it would be nice to share some of those stories and photos online to help remember her.  It is a small thing to ask, like the cards she made, but something that may have a lasting impact for us to think about for years to come.  Also, like the cards she made.  

In case I never said it, "Thanks for making me a great card.  I will keep it and cherish it, and it will help me think of you."  You are missed, Linda.  Be at peace.

Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark

The hard workers aboard the Ruby Princess