It's that time again - Backing up my files.

Screen shot of my desktop computer - backing up my 2024 files

I am a big supporter of backups.  Not the type in a car where the reverse lights come on and where large trucks make regular beeping sounds.  Rather, the backups I am referring to are those of important files on my computer.

I try to do this once a year.  I have 5 hard drives on my main computer.  My C: drive has my programs, OS, and Windows on it.  It is a SSD, or Solid State Drive, where there are no moving parts and it allows me to boot in seconds.  I don't keep any docs or images on it other than what is needed by the system.

The second hard drive (D:) is used to put recent stuff.  Right now all I have on it is my 2025 stuff.  Everything else has been moved to my main hard drive, a 5 tb (terabyte) monster that has every digital image I have ever taken on it and all my other documents to boot.  This includes my power point images, books I have written, and even files from school.

The fourth and fifth hard drives I use to back up all the stuff on the one I just mentioned.  They are both 2 tb drives and I split the material between them.  They are there just for redundancy.

Now, as if that is not enough, I have two external drives, both 5 tb, that I store everything on.  One I keep in the house and the other I keep off site.

This may seem insane, but I know everything I have shot is safe and available.  And the good news is that it is not very expensive.  I just bought a 4 tb backup drive for $125 from Amazon.  Interestingly enough, you can get up to 24 tb from what I saw, and I'm sure you can do even better than that.  If you really want to go the distance you can stack several hard drives together and set them up as a RAID that acts as a single drive.

It takes me about half a day to do this.  When I am done, it gets left for another year.  Guess what I will be doing about this time in 2026?

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark