Photographing small stuff to sell online.

A simple light box setup to photograph gear to sell online.

If you have ever sold stuff on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, Kigigi, or other such online buy-and-sell sites, this will sound familiar to you.

You take one or more photos of your item to sell and plug them into a favoured online sales site.  The photos may not be great, but does it really matter?  You took them with your cellphone or perhaps a stand-alone digital camera and then did the work to post them.  

The answer is, yes, it matters.

I used the above setup to photograph some camera equipment I am selling (in order to buy more stuff - yes, I'm a camera addict).  It is certainly not a professional setup, but its simplicity is outstanding and it produces acceptable results. Better yet is the fact that you can use the setup with your smartphone or tablet; there is no need for a flash, on-camera or otherwise.

In this case I used a lightbox I have had for many years and a ring-light made for cellphone videos.  I placed the ring light on top of the box and let the translucent fabric broaden out the already diffuse lighting.  Placing an item in the middle, I then took a few shots of it after making whatever camera adjustments were necessary.  A minute editing the pictures produced the desirable results I was hoping for.

I am including some of the items below in a photo.  If you click on it you should be able to bring up an enlarged edition.  I think you will find the images are good.  Not professional, but good.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark