Spotted sandpiper and chick


While vacationing near Hope, BC (Sunshine Valley), I noticed a sandpiper on a small gravel island in a nearby stream.  I returned later with my camera hoping it would still be there.  I was thrilled to find that it was, with a pair of chicks as well.  

While photographing the adult, I noticed it repeated a peculiar up-and-down bobbing motion of its hind end.  This is called teetering; you can see a video of it doing this here.  This repeated tail-bobbing has resulted in some uncommon nicknames for the species including teeter-peep, teeter-bob, jerk-or-perk bird, teeter-snipe, and tail-tip.  

What was even more interesting was that the chicks were engaged in exactly the same behaviour.  I almost laughed out loud when I noticed this as I followed them with my viewfinder.  Apparently, they do this nearly as soon as they hatch.

There is no understanding as to why these birds teeter, but according to one site I read, they may increase their bobbing rate when anxious or stop it altogether when courting.  Whatever the reason, I admit to being enchanted by it.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The passing of a generation

Hang in there, things will get better.

Henry Fair - A good man lost to us all.