Spotted sandpiper and chick


While vacationing near Hope, BC (Sunshine Valley), I noticed a sandpiper on a small gravel island in a nearby stream.  I returned later with my camera hoping it would still be there.  I was thrilled to find that it was, with a pair of chicks as well.  

While photographing the adult, I noticed it repeated a peculiar up-and-down bobbing motion of its hind end.  This is called teetering; you can see a video of it doing this here.  This repeated tail-bobbing has resulted in some uncommon nicknames for the species including teeter-peep, teeter-bob, jerk-or-perk bird, teeter-snipe, and tail-tip.  

What was even more interesting was that the chicks were engaged in exactly the same behaviour.  I almost laughed out loud when I noticed this as I followed them with my viewfinder.  Apparently, they do this nearly as soon as they hatch.

There is no understanding as to why these birds teeter, but according to one site I read, they may increase their bobbing rate when anxious or stop it altogether when courting.  Whatever the reason, I admit to being enchanted by it.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark