Lekking with the flower flies


Lekking is a breeding behaviour where males (usually) of a species gather together at a place not particularly well represented by important resources.  Rather, it is a place for males to display, to claim territory, and to exhibit their dominance over others of the same species.  The goal is to attract females.

A lek is an aggregation of males exhibiting lekking behaviour.  I have seen flies in a lek before, but never understood what I was witnessing.  As I researched the behaviour, I found that flower flies, also called hoverflies (European term), will display in such a manner.  The flies find a sunny spot, preferably near some deep shade so they stand out like a lighthouse beam on a dark night.  It was hard not to see them.  Each one would have its own territory.  They would hover in one place until another would-be competitor came into their zone, then zip towards it and chase the intruder off.  Anything that came within about a four foot radius was subject to such action.

I shot the images with my 500mm f/5.6 prime; the closest focus distance is about 10 feet, so I couldn't get much in the way of magnification.  I used 3d focus tracking which helped secure a reasonable focus, but found trying to lock onto one of the insects difficult.  I had to use manual focus override to get the focus close and then found that I could get a lock.  The flies were never in one place very long though, so I only achieved moderate success.  I found that a faster shutter speed with a higher ISO produce better images.  I had to decrease the noise though through the luminance dial as the higher ISO values produced quite a lot of it.  Given the amount of magnification required, I thought the photos were pretty fair.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark