Cloning tool and the yellow-headed Amazon parrot

Yellow-headed Amazon Parrot at Kangaroo Farm, Kelowna

I photographed the above parrot a few weeks ago and just got around to working with the image today.  I decided that numerous areas could be improved by making them disappear.  Photoshop has many ways to achieve this task, but I find that the clone-stamp tool (see icon inset) is one of the best.

The inset image of the parrot was before I removed the distractions.  Two branches, a blue dish, and a leg ring were the target of the clone tool.  It takes numerous strokes, many brush changes, and a careful selection process to get it just right.  I like to work on the full-sized image first and then reduce it to whatever proportions to make the alterations as seamless as possible.

The resulting image had far fewer distractions and displayed the bird in a more natural-looking setting.  I use this technique often when I need to alter parts of an image.  The magic-healing tool is faster and works well when small spots or annoyances are present, but the area to be healed has to be bordered by a homogenous background without much detail.  

Yellow-headed Amazons are endangered; they live in northern Central America and parts of Mexico.  The one I photographed was a rescue and is being treated with great care and attention.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Northern Rough winged swallow

Working out life's problems.