Calliope hummingbird - another first, what a year!


Like so many bird species, I know that calliopes live in the area but I had never seen one, that is until yesterday.  Then, I saw two!

It has been a banner year for me for lifers - the term used to express seeing a bird species for the first time.  I have had quite a few lifer experiences this year, having seen a western meadowlark, northern rough-winged swallow, willow flycatcher, wild great-horned owl, and now a calliope hummingbird.  And I have captured photos of each of them to prove it!

The calliope is a remarkable hummingbird.  It is the smallest bird native to North America and migrates about 8,000 km each year one way from Mexico to here.  It weighs about the same as a ping pong ball, if you can imagine that.  I have held a barn swallow in my hand, and it felt almost like holding air; how much more would holding one of these be like?

The one I witnessed and photographed was "hawking."  This behaviour involves perching on a branch (left) and then flying (right) off in an arc to capture small flying insects.  Each time it left, it returned to the same perch.  Another interesting thing about calliope hummingbirds is that they may visit holes drilled by sapsuckers.  The holes ooze tree sap and may trap insects as well.

I have to say, it was such an exciting moment for me.  

Thanks for reading.     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Northern Rough winged swallow

Working out life's problems.