Bullock's Oriole and a handful of other cool birds

Bullock's Oriole photographed in Kaloya Regional Park, Lake Country

I just found a new favourite spot to take bird pictures.  Kaloya Park is located between Wood Lake and Kalamalka Lake in Lake Country, BC.  It is a small peninsula, only 3.7 ha in size, with just under a kilometer of trails.  The paths are well maintained and there are a host of activities that can be enjoyed there.  What impressed me the most was the wildlife.

I saw quite a few species of bird, beyond the usual varieties abundant in the area.  Perhaps the most unusual one was the male Bullock's Oriole (above) that I got a pretty good photo of.  I have only ever seen the species once, maybe twice, so find it was definitely cool.  It was raining today when I went, so I did not explore the area in the depth I normally would.  Even then, I saw a family of California Quail (2 adults and 14 chicks), a female flicker, a flock of cedar waxwings, and a host of other more familiar birds.

The Bullock's oriole I saw was a young male (first spring) as it hadn't developed the plumage associated with a fully mature breeding male adult.  They consume insects of all kinds and will take both fruit and nectar.  They have been known to take to hummingbird feeders.  They produce a bag shaped nest that is woven by the female with some help from the male.  You can see an example by clicking here.  

I had a lovely walk there and hope to return soon.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Northern Rough winged swallow

Working out life's problems.