Violet-green swallow


Although I have seen violet-green swallows before, I have rarely photographed them.  In fact, the body of the above photo was only the third time I have managed to record an image of one.  The inset I photographed in 2011 with a Nikon D7000 and a 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens sporting a 1.7x teleconverter.  

The main photo above was shot with a Nikon D500 with a 500 mm PF lens and a 1.4x teleconverter.  It was a dull day when I was out and the f/8 minimum aperture meant that I had to use an ISO of 1600 in order to pull off a decent shutter speed. Although my D500 performs much better than my D7000 ever could, I find that I can't use focus tracking on it when the minimum aperture is f/8 (probably not enough light for the system).  It works fine when shooting at the lens' native f/5.6 aperture.

I have not taken the time yet to uncover the species of bird behind the swallow, but I suspect it may be a flycatcher of some form.  The dead tree was home to quite a group of them, I am including a photo I took of them below - the swallow was not part of the shot as it was out of the field of view.  You can see the image below.


Had I not seen the group of birds I wouldn't have spotted the swallow.  They were busily flying about catching the myriad of bugs that were hatching from the nearby pond.  Besides the violet-green swallow and flycatcher was a common yellowthroat, a yellow-rumped warbler, and a host of tree swallows.  I also saw a ruddy duck, a red-headed duck, coots, red-winged blackbirds, and California quail.  Had it not been raining, I am sure I would have spotted other species.

I will do a blog on the flycatcher next day.  Until then, take care.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

My longsuffering search for the Western Meadowlark