Macro photography with a long lens

Honeybee mid-flight

Yesterday I went to Kelowna's Kangaroo Creek Farm with my family.  While they perused the various exhibits and paddocks, I wandered about with my 500 mm lens snapping pictures of anything that captured my interest.  One such place was a patch of dandelions being actively solicited by honeybees.

A 500 mm (750 mm relative) is not generally my lens of choice when photographing insects.  The minimum working distance is extreme at almost 10 feet.  I used my TC14 (1.4x teleconverter) to increase the magnification providing a reproduction ratio of 1:4.  The resulting system allowed me to capture some decent images.

A few things were working to my advantage.  The midday sun provided ample light and I positioned myself with my back to it to reduce shadows.  A modest ISO (400) allowed me to shoot at f/11 with a shutter speed of 1/500th of a second.  The lens and camera system provided near-instantaneous focusing, as long as I wasn't too close, and I took lots of photos.  Although the working distance was poor, it had the advantage of not disturbing the insects as they were busily gleaning their harvest.

I did quite a bit of cropping in post as you can see from the original image below.  Even so, there was still enough pixels present to render a good image.  It would not be enough to make a large print, but I got a fairly good 8x10 out of it.

Original image before cropping

To me, being outdoors on a nice day with my camera was reward in itself; the fact that I got a few nice images was a bonus.  I am very much looking forward to what the rest of the spring and summer has to offer.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.