Northern Rough winged swallow

Northern Rough Winged Swallow - a new species for me.

There are a number of bird groups that I find hard to identify species in.  The ones that immediately spring to mind are gulls and flycatchers.

The key to identifying a bird species is to look for morphology clues such as size and colour.  Particular features such as beak and leg form will often help you to identify a bird to at least the family level.  Beyond that, you need specifics such eye rings, breast pattern, wing or tail bars, and so on.  Habitat, behaviour, and location may also play a role in identification.

In the example above, my thinking is that the bird is a flycatcher.  It doesn't fit any of the patterns for the swallows we have here.  There is no eye ring, no crest, and the bird is has a buff-coloured breast without a pattern and a brownish-coloured back, sides, and wings.  There are no wing or tail bars.  It is also small in size.  This leads me to believe it is either a pewee or phoebe.  

Given the fact that I saw this bird in Kelowna, it wouldn't be an eastern variety, so the most likely identification is a western wood pewee.  Range maps certainly confirm that it could be.  The bill isn't quite long enough or showing a tiny hook at the end, meaning it is not likely a phoebe.

However, I am still not sure.  One of the problems with identifying birds is that there are different plumages, sexual dimorphism, subspecies and range variations that confound identification at times.  This is one of the reasons I belong to birding websites such as BC birds and Alberta birds.  When in doubt, ask an expert.

Well, I am asking.  Any ideas?

A reply to my query indicated that I was WAY off track.  It is, in fact, a northern rough winged swallow.  I have never seen one before.  So, not a flycatcher at all then.  You can see more information on the bird here.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.