What is your passion?

 

Wood duck photographed at Fishtrap Creek, Abbotsford (March 17, 2024)

I teach photography classes and have written a number of books (learning guides) that go along with them.  Over the years, I have given a lot of thought regarding what to put in them.  Much of the content comes from tried and true practice, but some of it has come from my own experiences and understanding about both the hobby itself and life in general.  One of the key precepts is the question, "What's your passion?"

Or, more to the point, what do you like to photograph?  I have always had a passion for living things and so my photography tends to focus (pun intended) on creatures.  I go out of my way to obtain equipment that facilitates that end.  The pocketbook certainly controls much of what I can obtain, but I have carefully managed to obtain good equipment at a reasonable cost.  That has often meant buying used, extremely discounted, previous-generation, or third-party stuff.  But the point here is that it allows me to do a better job of capturing the images I want.

General-purpose gear will certainly get you started, but it lacks the same performance that higher-end equipment does.  Better equipment means better images, but that is not the only ingredient in improving your photography.  Learn to use your camera effectively through reading, discussing, and practicing.  As your equipment, understanding, and experience improve, so will your photos.  In reality, this is a life-long approach and it applies to all areas of life.

I have equipment that allows me to pursue other areas of photography, but this is not where my passion lies.  I have it to teach others, to make a buck (weddings and such), and because I am a bit of a hoarder.  Having a collection of lenses allows me to pick the right equipment for the job at hand.  Within the area of photographing wildlife is the venerable discipline of macro photography.  To this end, I have macro lenses and gizmos that facilitate capturing the diminutive.  Some of my favourite images are of insects or other creepy crawlies that I have taken over the years.

Where do you get the most joy out of photography?  Concentrate on obtaining equipment to allow you to do a better job.  Read, talk, and learn about how to improve.  Spend more time doing it, and share your passion with others.  In the end, you will get better and have a good time doing it.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.