Non-breeding golden crowned sparrow, Langley, BC


Who knew there were so many species of sparrow?  In BC, where I live, there are at least 20 species.  That may not seem like an insurmountable number, but you have to include the fact that there are male, female, breeding, non-breeding, and juvenile forms.  Then there are other sparrow-like birds, which include finches, nuthatches, kinglets, and a host of others all belonging to the Pasceriformes.  Of the 10,000 species of birds known to exist, a third of them belong to this family.  Bird identification is more than just looking at a photo and seeing a duplicate of what's in front of you.

Although I have not yet verified the species, I am modestly certain that the photo I took this morning is of a non-breeding golden-crowned sparrow.  Sparrows have certain distinguished characteristics that include there small size, thick and conical bills, and gregarious natures.  When trying to identify them, I look for cap colour (rusty vs plain), eye streak, breast pattern, and the presence of specialized markings such as what is found in white-crowned sparrows, black-throated sparrows, and song-sparrows.  

I find that birds clad in male breeding plumage are easiest to identify.  Females often have some commonalities with males, and immature or non-breeding forms have even fewer distinguishing characteristics.  The slight yellow crown, lack of an eye stripe, and clear breast lead me to believe the above bird is a golden-crowned sparrow.  If you can correct me or affirm it, please let me know.

I had fun this morning as I was out shooting with my 80-400 mm Nikon lens with a 1.4TCiii teleconverter attached to a Z7ii camera body.  I will talk about that in my next blog.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.