The Raven and the Mouse - Aesop's Fable gone wrong.


A field mouse was out during the day, enjoying the early morning light and cool air.  As the tiny mammal surveyed its surroundings, a small black dot appeared on the horizon.  Captivated, the mouse watched the dot grow in size and it became obvious that it was a bird.

The mouse had been warned by Mother Mouse; "Don't let a bird get too close to you, they can be dangerous, especially large ones."  But surely this bird must be safe, its glorious plumage was a beautiful shiny black and very small when it was first noticed.  After all, it was only the size of a dot.

Uncertain as to the intent of this just-arrived denizen of the air, the field mouse was about to turn and descend into the hole it came from when the bird spoke.  "Good morning, young mouse.  I see you are enjoying the beautiful day as I am.  Oh, how I love to stretch my wings and fly."

The bird seemed very friendly and the mouse had always wondered what it must be like to fly in the air.  Indeed, between the seemingly small size it initially seemed and the gentle way the raven, for that is what it was, had landed, it must be safe.  Also, the bird's voice was very reassuring as ravens are very smart and good at talking.

Instead of heading for the safety of the hole, the young mouse turned and complimented the winged creature.  "Flying must be wonderful!  I would love to see my home from the sky.  I wish I could fly like you."

At this, the raven smiled, leaned down with its beak on the ground, and said, "Come with me.  You can ride behind my head and hold onto my feathers.  Just climb up on my beak and I will take you gently into the air.  What a story you will have to tell your family and friends!"

Instead of recognizing the danger, the mouse, visualizing a euphoric ride ahead, jumped at the chance.  Mother would be so proud, and he would be the envy of all the other mice.  Hopping towards the bird, the field mouse sprang once, twice, and the third time to land on the raven's beak.  Just at that moment, however, the bird opened its bill and grabbed the tiny creature while still in the air.  

The raven was true to his word, he gave the mouse a ride in the air, gobbling it down as elevation was gained.  The last thoughts of the mouse were, "It is beautiful up here, but I should have listened to my mother."

I took this photograph this morning while walking around Munson Pond in Kelowna.  I used a 500mm PF Nikkor f/5.6 lens with a Nikon TC14E III teleconverter.  Below is another photo I took - it's just a hair out of focus but I really like the shot.


Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.