New macro set up with 2.5-5x f/2.8 macro lens

Nikon D7100 camera with Loawa macro lens

SD card left:  uncropped image    middle:  modest crop     right:  severe crop

If you have followed any of my blogging, you would know that I enjoy photographing very small things.  My macro equipment lets me get fairly close, but it is very time consuming to set up and there are so many variables to consider.  I have been wanting to set up a stationary system that will let me photograph something with little setup.  Today I finished a system that I hope will help.

I had a Kreg channel mount sitting about and it occurred to me that I could mount a rail system and tripod head to it.  The heads of the bolts had to be made thinner in two dimensions so they would fit into the channel and the bolt itself needed serious thinning so it could fit through the groove.  I then used 9/16th inch lock nuts to secure them and fit other tripod heads onto them.  I can use them for subject placement, light placement, and backlighting.  I also have a very handy fly-fishing clamp that is perfect for securing a specimen to for photographing.  

I have some preserved insects that I will be working within the next few days.  Hopefully, I will get some good shots.  I'll let you know.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment