Done with masks, open for travel.

Maya Ruins, Tulum, Mexico.

Covid affected us all.  My travel plans were completely destroyed at its onset and any thought of leaving the house was pretty much obliterated for three years.  Although I have missed travelling, I haven't missed the crowds.  It's the one thing I can do without.

I have been watching the news; there have been shots of the outrageous temperatures present on European soil.  More specifically, Greece has been in the frying pay, so to speak, and yet it has not stopped the myriad of tourists that are stoically waiting in line to see ancient sites like the Acropolis.  There are a lot of other places in the world to go and see that don't involve long lineups and outrageous temperatures.  

I enjoy travel as it brings with it the opportunity to do something special with friends and family and allows me to photograph entirely new worlds.  As much as it would be nice to see ancient Greece, the inhospitable climate and ridiculous queues are hurdles I do not wish to cross.  The destinations themselves are fine, its the timing that is problematic.  

If I wanted to see the Acropolis, I would prefer to figure out dates and times that would allow me to enjoy the experience without risking a stroke or a TIA of some form.  I am sure we could have visited Tulum in a scorching climate with marauding crowds mulling about the place, ruining not only the experience but every photo I wanted to take.  Instead, we went when the weather was comfortable and the crowds minimal, and we enjoyed the entire experience. 

I hope to do a lot of travelling, just not in sweltering heat or in a throng of tourists.  I want to have fun and remember the experiences with fondness, not come back with stories of despair and disappointment.  

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment