Afflicted dagger moth

North America hosts about 73 different species of dagger moths.  British Columbia has at least 9 species.  I am pretty sure the one I photographed above is the Afflicted Dagger Moth.  It was hiding under a sheet of loose bark I gently pulled up on that was part of a dead, upright tree.  The moths are nocturnal and normally wouldn't be visible during the day.  You can find them sometimes at night around lights.

The caterpillar is orange in colour and boasts an enlarged head.  They feed on oak trees but are not considered pests.  You can see one by clicking here and looking at the second and third images available.  Another dagger moth, also present in BC, is the American Dagger Moth.  It is unusual in that it has venomous hairs that can actually impart a painful sting.  

I am always amazed by the sheer diversity of moths.  Every year I get a dozen photos of interesting moths and each year I rarely get the same species.  They vary widely in size, distribution, and habits.  My favourite photos are of a female polyphemus moth I took a number of years ago.  I captured it and found that it started laying eggs.  I immediately released it to let it finish its job.  

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment