Time - our greatest gift.

Water balloon fun at Grace Baptist Church VBS (Vacation Bible School).

One of the most important resources we have to offer is our time.  More specifically, time spent helping others, contributing, and making a difference.  Money doesn't have to be involved, although it is another resource often in great need.  And you don't have to make an exhausting effort or expend every spare second available.  You just have to be there.

What I am talking about is volunteering.  Building the community, helping those in need.  The opportunities are boundless.  Any organization involved in serving people would benefit from another pair of hands.  Scouting, sports, clubs, rescue, food banks, seniors, schools, churches, camps; all need people who can give of their time.  A few hours here and there helps, although it's better to lend assistance on a regular basis. 

All you need to bring is yourself.  Whatever skills you have is included in that package and can be used to make a difference.  Can you sing or play an instrument?  You're needed.  Is cooking something you can do?  You're needed.  Can you work with your hands?  You're needed.  Are you breathing?  You're needed.  Whatever you bring to the table will be a welcome addition.

As a Christian (I believe that Jesus is the son of God who died on the cross to forgive sins), I think it is important to contribute to the church I attend.  What I do is not as important as the fact that I do something.  I do believe that the Holy Spirit empowers me with certain gifts that I am to build the body of Christ with (read 1st Corinthians 12), but I also have other skills that allow me to contribute.  One of those skills is photography.

This week our church (Grace Baptist in Kelowna) is doing a Vacation Bible School.  I was available and wondered what could I do to help.  I can take photos, so I offered my services to the organizers.  Some 550 images and about a half-hour of video later I was done, sort of.  It took another ten hours of processing those images on the computer before I was really finished.  I ended up with about 100 decent images and some useable video that I gave to the leaders.  It's up to them to go from there.

I will continue to offer my time in the service of my church.  The Bible refers to this as a "spiritual act of worship."  What it looks like will likely change depending on need and what I am doing.  The point is to be there.

Where you give your time is less important than the fact that you do.  It's the best gift you can offer others.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.