Photographing creatures in the wild

Giant Golden Orb Weaver spider.

More than half of the challenge of getting photographs of creatures in nature is finding them in the first place.  You have to be where the organisms live, you have to be there when they are actually out and accessible, and you have to be inconspicuous in the process.  

If all that goes well, then the is the need to have the right equipment, that there is enough light, and that you can use those things in combination to get a decent exposure that is focused.  If that isn't enough, there is the hope above hopes that you will also get an image that is attractive or shows the creatures engaging in some interesting behaviour.  

I have read accounts of photographers spending months in the bush, living in blinds or exposed to the elements, and taking literally thousands of photographs in order to just get one really good image.  That's not me, mostly because I value my comforts and photograph happenstance opportunities as they present themselves.  If I am kayaking, hiking, riding my bike, or just out and about with my camera, I take in the day as it presents itself and photograph whatever catches my fancy.  

Sometimes, although not as often as one would like, you just end up at the right place and time to capture an amazing shot.  Everything falls into place.  The light is good, you've got an interesting subject in your viewfinder, and for whatever reason, your presence has either gone unnoticed or has been ignored.  Your camera equipment allows you to zoom in close enough for details and your focus and exposure settings are all spot on.  And it's all over in an instant.

It has been said that "Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity."  I believe in that.  In wildlife photography, it means that you are more likely to get good photos by following a few simple guidelines.  Here are some things I have learned over time.

  • Go out to shoot early in the morning.  If your partner thinks you're crazy, it's probably the right time.
  • Shoot with your back to the sun.  I like to "point my shadow", which basically means that the subject will be in good light with little or no shadows.
  • Use long lenses.  I have found that 300 mm on a crop-sensor camera is a good starting point.  I commonly use 400, 500, or 600 mm focal lengths on DX camera bodies.  Most wildlife likes to keep its distance and you will get better photos the further away from them you are.
  • You don't have to be deep in the bush to capture nature.  Often parks with trails will provide good opportunities.  The frequent presence of humans tends to acclimate wildlife and make them less skittish.
  • Be prepared for the moment.  It is not unusual for an opportunity to present itself and disappear seconds later.  Keep your camera out, have the proper settings selected, and be ready.  By the time you pull your camera out of its pack, choose the correct exposure settings, and get ready to shoot, the shot will be gone.
  • Take a photo, then move to a better position and take another.  Repeat often, but try not to disturb whatever wildlife you are photographing.  I don't wait for the "perfect moment" to present itself.  Rather, I will take many photos, hoping that each successive one is better than its predecessor.
  • Keep your eye on the subject while shooting - the more time you take your eye away from the viewfinder the greater the chance that you will miss something or lose where your subject is.
  • Consider having a friend with you.  It is safer, will help the time between shots pass faster, and you can learn from each other.
For me, photography is an excuse to get outside and experience what nature has to offer.  If I can capture something special during that time, all the better.  If not, at least I got some exercise, fresh air, and maybe learned something in the process.  Above all, I will have had fun.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment