Two species of swallowtail butterflies.

Western tiger (left) and pale (right) swallowtail butterflies.

While setting up and packing up our kayaks yesterday on Okanagan Lake near Kelowna I noticed a small group of butterflies taking moisture and minerals from a wet sandy area on the boat launch.  There were two different species, western tiger swallowtails and pale swallowtails.  I have seen both species on a single day before, but not together or gathered in such numbers.

BC has eight species of swallowtail butterflies.  You can see from the image below seven of the eight species.  You can click here to go to the link for more information.

Taken from E-fauna BC website - adjusted to fit.

I photographed the top image using my cellphone as I had no other camera equipment with me.  Although I find cell phone cameras convenient, I find their ability to capture detailed images with the accuracy and speed of DSLRs limits their usefulness, certainly in my world.  Rod had a butterfly land on him and, by the time I got the camera ready, it had flown away.  

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment