The common snipe. Common, but not often visible.


The common snipe is actually reasonably abundant and is listed as a species of least concern on the IUCN species red list category.  However, I have rarely seen them; they are very shy and tend to hide in ground vegetation in or near marshy areas.  I saw my first snipe two years ago.  I was only four feet or so from it and could just make out its form and colouration through the grasses it was hiding behind.

Given their shy nature, I was surprised to find one sitting bold-as-you-please on a fence post while walking a trail near the town of Didsbury, Alberta.  With people frequently coming and going, the local bird population has acclimated to humans and even their dogs.  It was such a pleasure to finally get to see one up close without only hearing it or seeing it through cover.

They have an interesting behaviour where they produce a sound canned winnowing.  It is not a vocalization, rather it is created by the vibration of tail feathers as they dive during a courtship dance.  If you want to hear it for yourself, click here.

Although I have been out almost every day, I haven't seen too many interesting birds.  I will do a few more blogs with the ones I have found and hopefully will come across some new ones shortly.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment