Alberta butterflies recently seen.


Late spring and early summer, the season we are currently in, is a favourite of mine for butterfly photography.  I found a beautiful checkerspot butterfly on the side of the road; it had been killed due to an impact with a car.  Of the five or six species shown above, two of them (the cresent and the admiral) were not in my insect and butterfly field guides.  However, I knew approximately what genus they were and used the internet to narrow identification.

I do not have my usual macro equipment with me and so have been shooting insects with my somewhat limited equipment.  Most of the above photos were taken with my 500mm PF Nikon lens and D500 camera, the equipment I use for photographing birds and other wildlife.  Although I love the combination for that particular purpose, it is somewhat limited when shooting insects as the closest I can get is about five feet away.  That in itself is a mixed blessing as it usually means I don't scare my intended subject away before getting a photo.

I have found that my ability to identify butterflies within a particular group or genus has improved lately.  It is not because I have studied them or that my memory is anything other than ordinary, but rather because I take time trying to identify whatever I shoot.  In the process, I become familiar with many of the groups and this makes identification much easier.  I have found the same to be true with my bird photography.

I think the ability to determine species comes with time and practice.  I have a fascination with World War II armour as well and have been learning how to identify tanks by sight.  It's kind of the same process, only butterflies don't shoot back.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment