Long-toed salamander


It's nice to get out into the backcountry once in a while.  Although I find my fair share of creatures in more populated areas, the fact is that nature is less disturbed the farther one gets away from civilization.

While walking with a friend today out in a wild area northeast of Kelowna, I uncovered a small juvenile salamander while searching for creatures hidden beneath forest litter.  Uncertain at the time of its species, I photographed it with my cell phone and hoped to identify it later when I had access to my various field guides.  Peterson's Field Guide on Western Reptiles and Amphibians helped identify it as a long-toed salamander.

These amphibians can grow up to 17 cm, or just over six inches.  This one just fit in the palm of my hand and would have been around 6 cm at the most.  There are a number of other salamanders that look similar to it, but the long toe on the hind foot was a giveaway (see image below).  This is the first one I have ever found.

Thanks to April for the walk in the backcountry.  Next time out I hope to find some tiger salamanders - I have been searching for these for a long time.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.