Panorama with iPhone 11 - amazing quality.

Three Gap Lake, British Columbia.

 There are a number of ways to make a panorama.  My preferred way has been to shoot numerous DSLR images, rotating a bit with each shot, and then stitching them together later on in Photoshop.  For most people, this would not be an acceptable method as viable software may not be available or too intimidating.  With a course that I am teaching in cell phone photography coming up, I have been playing with iPhones.

The iPhone 11 I purchased has a panorama function.  While on a trip to Alberta, I decided to put that utility to the test.  An attractive scene put the opportunity in my lap and so I brought out my newly acquired device.  It was a simple matter of pressing a few buttons, following the instructions, and performing a slow-motion pirouette.

The result was impressive.  A nice panorama without any post-editing massaging.  Furthermore, it was huge.  Its pixel dimension was 11,178 x 3694.  To put it in perspective, if it was printed at 300 dpi (printer resolution), I could get a 36" x 12" print out of it.  And it would have very fine details.  There would not be quite as much resolution as what I could get out of one of my DSLRs, but I have to say it was very good.

My android phone has the same panorama ability, although I have never used it.  In the event that I needed a camera that weighed little and took up even less space, I could see relying on a cell's camera as a means of recording events.  It will be interesting to see what else the iPhone and android can do.  I'll let you know.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.