New book - Cell phone photography

 

Two of the 17 illustrations I have in Chapter 1 of my book on Cell Phone Photography.

I finished my revision of my intro to digital photography book (3rd edition) and now find myself working on my next project, Cell Phone Photography.  Smartphone cameras have become very popular to the point that compacts have pretty much died.  DSLR and mirrorless cameras still hold a lot of market share, given their enormous flexibility and quality.  

I have been learning quite a bit as I put the book together.  For example, did you know that Apple iOS and Android represent about 99.4% of the operating systems in today's market?  Blackberry's peak was in 2010 and by 2014 they were dead.  The remaining 0.6% involves Microsoft's OS and Samsung's OS.  Although Apple has about a third of the market, they produce some of the best cameras and software and are well-established.

I have been reading up about cell phone sensors and how hybrid zooming works.  Very interesting.  Another interesting fact deals with a file platform that is heavily competing with jpets.  HEIC file format produces smaller files than jpegs but with less artifacts.  Apple came out with the system in 2017 and Android devices are just catching up.

I will start on chapter 2 later today; it will be on exposure and video.  The section on exposure will be different from my other books because cell phones don't typically operate in the same way that cameras with Auto, S, A, P, and M settings do.  However, the entire idea is about the same and it should not be too hard to make sense of it all.

When finished I should have about 40 pages made up of 2 chapters and a table of contents.  I start teaching my class in May and have a second one at the end of June.  I should be finished in a week or so.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.