Mourning dove in backyard


There is a pair of mourning doves that seem to be taking up residence in my backyard.  I have seen them a few times now, and this morning I thought they were involved in some hanky-panky.  They like to nest in a secure place, likely a tree or bush, that has a simple platform structure.  You can build one out of hardware cloth.

OK, I had to look that up.  What is hardware cloth?  It is a fine mesh steel "fabric", really being something like chicken-wire with a very tight woven form that will prevent eggs or chicks from falling through.  According to a Home guides website (click here), you construct it in a conical nature, probably something akin to a shallow bowl.  

Mourning doves spend a lot of time on the ground, as suggested by the photo I took yesterday.  They are fond of smaller seeds, such as millet, and have been foraging around my empty garden and very dead-looking lawn.  I have yet to determine if they will, in fact, nest in the area, but so far am hopeful.

I may even try to build a platform using plywood and hardware cloth (still getting used to that name) for them.  If I do, I will put it up today and let you know what happens.  Oh, the suspense is killing me!

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.