Mirrorless vs DSLR cameras.

Left:  underexposed image (automatic)   Right:  properly exposed image (+1)

I have mixed feelings about mirrorless cameras.  We're not talking about the small, compact cameras mind you.  These are the DSLR cousins that have the ability to change lenses and have all the functions they have.  They typically fall into the same price range but are smaller and take different lenses.  Instead of looking at an optical image through the viewfinder (a DSLR uses a mirror to let you look through the lens directly), mirrorless cameras have an electronic viewfinder that produces a digital image.

The advantage of mirrorless cameras is that they are smaller and lighter than their DSLR counterparts.  Although they take different lenses than DSLRs, devices such as Nikon's FTZ adapter allow you to use the standard F-mount lenses instead of buying new ones that do the same thing.  My favourite thing about mirrorless cameras is the ability to display a live histogram (above images) in the viewfinder.  DSLRs may be able to display a live histogram, but only in LiveView mode which has to be used with the camera at arm's length.  

I find that the battery life of my mirrorless camera is much shorter than that of my DSLR.  The reason has to do with the viewfinder; it must be powered to view the virtual image.  I find that I get about half the shots before needing to recharge the same battery that is used in my DSLR.  

I do love the fact that I can use the live histogram display in my mirrorless camera's viewfinder.  It tells me in an instant if my exposure is off or not and which direction it needs changing in.  Another really cool thing is the manual focus assist feature.  When focusing manually the viewfinder image shows the parts of the scene that are in focus by overlaying a blue mask.  It is a tremendous way to adjust the focus when working with a narrow depth of field or doing hyperfocal focusing.

My research tells me that mirrorless cameras are better suited for doing video.  Given the electronic nature of the viewfinder, I can believe it.  That is something that I still have to determine for myself.

Overall, I thing either one will satisfy your shooting needs.  I generally prefer shooting with my DSLR rather than my mirrorless, but mostly because I have worked with SLRs and DSLRs for almost 45 years now.  It is still taking me some time to become familiar with what the mirrorless has to offer.  I have an adapter for the camera that allows me to use my older Nikon F lenses.  The transition has been relatively painless.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.