Is a picture worth a thousand words?

Josh (left) and his dad, Eric (right).  Someone is formulating ideas.

My daughter, Leanne, once told me she had to write a thousand-word essay.  I quipped back, "Why don't you just send in a picture."  I was joking, of course, but the thought belies the idea that images convey a great deal of information.  The advantage of words is that a singular message can be formulated, sharing a specific thought.  The disadvantage is the risk of being misinterpreted, of not communicating clearly, and of missing innuendo (reading between the lines, so to speak).

I think this is why I prefer the use of both.  The written word allows the author to express specific sentiments while the image provides details that would seem prolixic if put in writing.  It takes time and effort to pen a precise concept while an image can convey enormous amounts of information in the literal blink of an eye.  

I enjoy writing as it lets me convey thoughts, facts, and ideas, plus it allows me to be downright whimsical in a manner not achievable behind the camera.  Photography enables me to capture beauty and experiences in a way that words never could.  I have interests in wildlife, the outdoors, science, and taking photos; the combination of both media platforms empowers my ability to communicate.  Plus, I like doing them both.

The above photograph was taken by my wife, Kathryn, on her cell phone.  My son has a look of boredom with a bit of disdain mixed in, while I have an impish smile underlying the fact that I was attempting to clone my boy's visage in a mildly mocking manner.  I love the fact that the dining room's lights are reflected in the window behind me.  Clearly, I am working on several ideas.  Maybe it was about what I was going to write later on.  I guess it was this!

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.