Ice fog leaves ice crystals on leaves.


We were supposed to fly to Edmonton on Tuesday but the flights were cancelled due to foggy conditions.  We arrived there today (Thursday ) and discovered all the trees were decorated with hoar frost.  The photo above was taken soon after we got to my son's house in Leduc.  The tiny needles of ice delicately hung from leaves and branches turning an otherwise nominal scene into something spectacular.


It was interesting trying to get the parts of the image in focus that I wanted.  I was using my mirrorless Nikon on manual focus and found that the parts of the image in focus (depth of field) could be modified by altering the focal length, aperture, and point of focus.  The in-focus area had a blue sheen over it and none if it was outside the focus area.  I found it a very effective way to establish focus.


At a distance, the whole world was wonderfully edged in frosting as though decorated with care from a giant hand.  On the way from the airport, I was in awe of the beauty around me.  I am thankful that it lasted the day; such displays are often ephemeral and disappear before being able to enjoy them.  Luckily, it lasted and I managed to get a dozen photos within a five minute walk of my son's place.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.