American bittern seen at Burnaby Lake


One thing I appreciate about wildlife photographers and birders is that they are often enthusiastic about sharing what they have seen and where it was found.  They do this, not out of the goodness of their hearts, but because they are genuinely excited about their discovery and know that spreading awareness facilitates conservation.  

There are a few spots that I like to go birding in.  In the Lower Mainland, these would be Pitt-Poulder ecological reserve, Burnaby Lake, and Rocky Point in Port Moody.  Any place where there are significant undisturbed areas around bodies of water is a good place to look for birds.  I am not talking about robins, chickadees, and house sparrows either.  I am referring to unusual species that are rarely seen in one's daily routine.  Last year alone I have seen and photographed a dozen species I have never seen before.

Whenever I come across other wildlife photographers or birders I ask if they have seen anything interesting during their stroll.  They are usually only too pleased to share their recent discoveries.  This was the case for me to capture the American bittern photographed above.  I met a fellow with a long lens, camera, and tripod earnestly focusing his gear on a spot west of his position on the pier at Burnaby Lake.  When asked about what he was photographing he pointed to the very bird I captured moments later.  The same is true for photos I have of a Bullock's oriole, Virginia rail, and gyrfalcon.  

One exception to this is owls.  Their secretive habits put them at risk of being disrupted; people will bait them with food to photograph them, which causes numerous issues (see my blog on "The Problem with Baiting").  I appreciate the value of a good photograph as much as anybody, but not at the expense of the organism.  Nesting birds are another example; too many intrusions and the adults may abandon the nest.  It's best not to share the location as over-zealous individuals may not respect the boundaries required for rearing.

To summarize, share good birding and photography spots with others but be mindful of nesting and of particular groups such as owls.  If you happen to find such a prize, photograph with care and do not disturb them.  And never, ever, bait owls or other birds of prey.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.