Shooting with a cell phone

Mission Creek, Kelowna

I am considering putting a photography course together on shooting with a cell phone camera.  I have rarely used my cell phone to snap photos as my normal method involves DSLRs.  More a device of convenience, the cell phone's ability to capture images has never interested me.  That is, until now.

I have an opportunity to teach photo courses in the Spring session through Kelowna's recreation association.  I have been in contact with their program administrator and we have discussed what I can offer the community in terms of photography courses.  One of the ideas that came up involves cell phones.

There is a wide range of cell phones, both old and new, and some boast some pretty impressive capabilities.  Google's Pixel 7 Pro, for example, boasts a 50 MP (megapixel) sensor with a 5x optical zoom.  The $1200 price tag may seem like a lot, but it is cheap compared to Apple's flagship iPhone 14 Pro Max at $2300.  Most of us, including me, prefer cell phones that are less expensive and go for, and keep, older models with far fewer features and abilities.  

My own phone is a Galaxy A51 running Android Version 12.  It has 4 rear cameras and one front one.  One of the front cameras has a 50 MP sensor.  The above photo was taken with the wide-angle lens at 9 MP (and cropped down to the above image).  I tweaked it a bit in Photoshop before posting it here.  The native app on the camera is very impressive and even lets me operate on full manual mode.  I downloaded a few other camera apps and found I could produce other experiences and features.

My concern about teaching a cell phone photography class is that there is just such a wide variety of abilities and software apps out there.  Imagine one person coming in with a flip phone and someone else with Apple's flagship and trying to teach them both at the same time.  I will have to do more research on the subject before committing myself.  That said, I think cell phones can do a good job of capturing images.  It's just not my thing.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.