Improvement of images through editing

Above:  Original photo taken by Monica Meggait
Below:  Same photograph edited by Eric Svendsen

Rarely will I take a photograph and use it without any adjustments.  I find there is always something that can be improved.  This particular photograph (top image) was posted on Facebook by a friend.  What spurred me into action was a comment by another viewer who thought the wonderful shot would be improved if only the wires weren't in the way.  They are the bane of the photographer's existence and many a photo has been ruined by their ungraceful appearance.  "Not this time!", I thought.

Prodded by the injustice, I was determined to whisk the wicked wires away.  And so, with my trusty Photoshop application in hand and my dog by my side, I began the process of righting the wicked wrong.  

There are actually a number of editing programs that will allow you to alter a scene.  I use Photoshop CS for most of my work, although Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, and even Paint are occasionally used by me.  In this case, I used the program's Clone tool to remove the offending pixels,  I find there are numerous ways to achieve the same thing in Photoshop, the Healing tool comes to mind, but I like the control I have with the Clone tool.  You can see some of the tool's parameters I captured using the "print screen" button below.


After cleaning up the wires and poles I adjusted the colour (saturation and vibrance adjustment), contrast (applied a curve to the image), and finally removed artifacts using a noise filter.  Monica's friend was right.  It does look better without the wires.  

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.