Why good glass matters.


I usually use macro lenses and associated accessories such as extension tubes, bellows, or even close-up filters when photographing insects.  The simple truth is that sometimes I am in the field without my macro gear.  My normal MO is to stroll about a natural area with a single camera and lens; on this particular day I was photographing birds and had my 500 mm Nikon PF with me.

I have to say, "I love this lens."  It is everything I always wanted in a wildlife lens.  It is relatively small and light (for a 500) and is incredibly sharp.  In fact, of all the telephotos I have owned, it is by far the best.  The image above proves that point.  It does not focus as closely as other long lenses in this range, but the exceptional clarity allows significant cropping with still stunning results.  I know from experience that I could not get an image this sharp from any of my previous telephotos. Some might come close, but this eclipses them all.

Lenses are sometimes referred to as "glass" by photographers.  The term relates to the transparent elements housed within the lens' outer shell.  Numerous designs, coatings, and chemical makeup all go towards the optical properties of any lens.  The end results vary as much in quality as they do price.  Many a photographer has drooled over acquiring lenses of the highest order but have succumbed to the reality that they are simply unaffordable.  

For those who are interested in upping your game but are financially strapped, consider this.  There is a lot of good used stuff out there.  Although the best is nice, it tends to become surpassed as technology and designs improve.  Often good is enough and will meet your needs until a more favourable position presents itself.  Also, consider tucking money away in a TFSA, a little at a time.  If you can manage $40 - $80 a month, that nest egg will grow to around $1000 to $2000 in two years.  The advantage of a TFSA is that it (should) keep up with inflation so that your money doesn't depreciate over time.

In the end, you will always appreciate good glass.  Bide your time, do your research, consider used, and wait.  Eventually something will come your way.

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.