Who am I versus who I am.


The difference between who am I and who I am is both subtle and massive.  It is, in essence, both a question and an answer.  Together they represent the gestalt of one's being.  We spend a lifetime asking the question and just as long in answering it.

It really comes down to self-awareness.  Knowledge of your past and present, understanding your abilities and limitations, and recognizing your place in the world are all part of the equation.  The thing about this is that it is constantly changing; nothing is static.  If I were to form an empirical image of myself, one that could be measured objectively, every five years, and step back to examine them a progression would form.  

Physical parameters are easy to do this with; consider a height growth chart.  Even mental acuity can be measured and plotted with some level of success, that is what psychological tests are for.  Really though I am not talking about either of those things, I am talking about the world of self-perspective.  The question and answer should be about becoming comfortable with yourself.

The best way to do this, in my opinion, is through self-reflection and learning.  The goal to "better one's self", in whatever form, is laudable.  Education certainly has its place here; I wouldn't be where I am today without it.  It is not the only way to sharpen the tools in your shed as it were.  Clubs, groups, friends, church, reading, and open dialogue with both family and those closest to you are all part of the process of maturing. 

The key here is to be open with a moral foundation to guide the process.  You can't learn and improve if you are not open to these things.  All the while it is important to direct yourself towards a particular set of goals rather than being blown about randomly by whatever forces cross your path.  Morality should be the cornerstone of learning.  You, those around you, and society will all be the better for it.  

Who am I?  It's an important question.  If you are not comfortable with the answer then it is time to alter the path you are on. Rarely are there quick and easy solutions, but they are all worthwhile.  It will take time, character, resolve, and action to evoke.  You will not see results right away.  But if you could measure the "who I am" moments over time you would see change and you may be surprised to find out how far you've come.  

The goal should be to become comfortable with the answer in whatever form it takes and to recognize that it is a never-ending process.  Who am I?  I am comfortable with myself but trying to improve because I know I can be better.  That's who I am.

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.