What species of caterpillar is this?


I enjoy the outdoors and am always on the lookout for creatures of all varieties.  Imagine my delight to discover such an interesting caterpillar!  I happened to have my macro camera setup with me at the time and photographed the creature as best as I could.  I have found many varieties of caterpillars over time, many of them furry (tussock moth caterpillar), hairless (white-lined sphinx caterpillar), or just plain huge (elephant hawk-moth caterpillar).  I have never found one quite like this one though.

At my computer, I have hunted high and low for its species.  I searched numerous websites and looked at hundreds of different photos.  There were some that were close but none with all the features displayed by this one.  It was a wholly unique find on many levels.

The caterpillar was found in central Alberta in a wooded area, I don't recall the vegetation it was on when I discovered it.  There was only the one; a solitary individual.   Some caterpillars have stinging spines, but I don't believe this one does.  I imagine the lepidopteran is toxic though because of the vivid colours it displays.

I will try to uncover its species over the next few days.  If I find it I will post it in this blog.  Any assistance you can give me would be helpful.

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.