Why I photograph birds in manual exposure mode.


 The eared grebe - I love photographing creatures while sitting in my kayak, and this eared grebe was an excellent subject to train my camera on.  Both images were shot in manual exposure mode.  This tends to be the rule for me when photographing wildlife rather than the exception.  There are numerous benefits to choosing manual over an auto or program mode.  The key is to understand the nature of light and how it impacts the scene.

I would not encourage you to use manual exposure mode if you are not comfortable with its demands.  Simply put, you are more likely to achieve better results on (A)perture priority or (P)rogram mode if (M)anual mode eludes you.  I used these alternative modes for years until I became effective shooting in manual.

Notice the two scenes above.  The left image is photographed with the sun at my back; there is little shadow on the bird.  The water, however, is reflecting the bright sky behind the grebe and is throwing off the camera's attempt to suggest a proper exposure value.  An automatic mode would not produce a good image unless exposure compensation was employed.

The photo on the right is much different; the sun is behind the bird and produces significant shadows on the subject.  The duller colours are a result of that.  The water is reflecting trees on the opposing shoreline resulting in lighting that is more conducive to using an auto mode.  

Another reason I prefer manual is that I have to pay more attention to the shutter and aperture settings.  Long lenses, shooting in watercraft, and moving wildlife often necessitate faster shutter speeds, even if vibration mitigation is used.  I can achieve the desired values by altering aperture (usually set to the lenses' minimum) and ISO (usually set to the lowest value allowing me to achieve the shutter speed setting).  One way to do this is to use Auto ISO, which doesn't work well in manual mode and I would seriously not advise it.

The concern many of you might have regarding manual mode is the fact that it requires constant adjustments.  There is some truth in this but the bigger thing to consider is the light falling on the subject.  If it doesn't change, even though background situations change frequently, there is no need to alter your manual settings.  If anything, an auto mode would require more fiddling because meter readings are constantly swayed by changing backgrounds.

I can honestly say that I have had more success shooting in manual exposure mode rather than an alternative.  The only way you will likely try it is if you are comfortable.  So, consider this; take your shot in aperture priority or program mode then switch to manual and play with the settings and shoot again.  Return to A or P mode and go on your way.  

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment