Wilson's Snipe, not a commone one.


While walking in a wooded area bordered by marsh, I heard an unusual bird call.  It was one I was not familiar with but it definitely held my interest.  Like following an animal wearing a tracking collar I zeroed in on the oft-repeated sound.  My camera was at the ready.  I have learned that taking time to set up a shot the moment you need it often results in missed opportunities.

There in front of me was a marsh-loving bird I had never seen before.  I always find such creatures captivating; I think the long curved bills are what do it for me.  I thought it was a snipe, and as I contemplated that identification I photographed it as best as I could through the vegetation.  I didn't want to scare it from its roost and so left it in peace after the encounter.  Later, back in my RV with the images at my disposal, I verified my find.

I should mention that the only reason I could identify it in the field was because of the number of times I have glimpsed at the image while identifying other birds.  I have a collection of bird books that I peruse when involved in such a task.  The idea here is that such time is not wasted in the pursuit of an identification; rather it is a benefit as familiarization with associated birds begins to set in.  I am hardly an expert when it comes to making such determinations, nor am I a novice.  Frankly, the more I do the better I get.  I think that's true with most things.

What I love about the image is how well hidden the bird is.  Chances are that you had to look twice before our eyes uncovered what is hidden by the vegetation.  Its behaviour is exactly why this all works.  The snipe relies on camouflage and its broken pattern to keep it hidden.  They are not strong fliers and cannot flee away with a sparrow's dexterity or speed.  I was three or four meters away from it when I discovered it; my careful and quiet motions were paramount in the success.  Although it would be nice to have a shot clear of it without the grassy veil, the photo I got speaks volumes about the bird's strategies and habits.  

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment