Doing things the old fashioned way.

The term "old-fashioned" suggests both the passage of time and a refusal to consider a new approach towards achieving a goal. There are aspects of all adults, and many children, who could be accused of being antiquated in their actions or beliefs by not embracing modern methods. There are many people that come to mind when I reflect on the idea, my dad being chief among them. Although he has a cell phone, he doesn't make use of its features. The last computer he worked on was 30 years ago, and he couldn't write an email if his life depended on it.

I have always found electronics fascinating and frequently embrace new technology, my pocketbook often being the limiting factor in acquiring any of it. I try to keep up to date in my camera gear and am currently thinking of switching over to mirrorless devices. But there is one thing that I don't ever plan on using in my photography; camera-based drones.

I have always enjoyed being out and about with camera in hand, experiencing and capturing the world as I tumble through it. I photograph what I can see and experience. It is part of the adventure and a way that I interact with the environment. My mind's eye is always on the lookout for something of interest, be it a scene, creature, or event. I will use a tripod, go remote by tether or wireless connection, and occasionally shoot a batch of photos by repeated, time-delayed exposures. In all those circumstances I have to be there; my immediate presence is not always required.

Drone photography takes things to a whole new level, literally. Now, you can travel virtually through the skies and produce images never before possible. I took the photo above while visiting Hawaii some 9 years ago. Access to the bowl was limited and I had to fight just to get into position for the shot I finally got. How much easier it would have been with a camera-based drone. A set of controls, spin the device up and let it rise for the occasion. Up, down, a little this way or that, and snap the images you want. Voila - photos I could never get on my own and probably better than what I could manage without such an aerial device.

I might get better images, but I wouldn't have the same experience. Besides the fact that drones are prohibited in many areas, my main reason for not having one is that I would never use it. Sitting instead of exploring. Controlling a joystick instead of smelling the flowers and brushing against the flora. I would rather experience the world the way I currently do than experience it virtually. Imagine it coming to the day where you could achieve such lofty goals from the comfort of your couch at home. Where's the adventure?

Maybe I am a fuddy-duddy when it comes to expanding my horizons beyond certain limits. Yes, old-fashioned, that's me in a nutshell. Well, at least for some things.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.