Swan Lake Wildlife Preserve near Princeton, BC.

I had the opportunity to explore Swan Lake Wildlife Preserve last summer. We stayed near Princeton and I had the opportunity to visit it three or four times. It was a remarkable experience. The trials were not very long but there was plenty of natural elements to enjoy. I particularly liked seeing the large variety of birds and saw four species I had never laid eyes on before. These included a Bullock's Oriole, a Pygmy Nuthatch, a Lewis Woodpecker, and a Mountain Bluebird.

I am usually thrilled at even seeing one new species, little lone four, and my time there was indeed memorable. I also found deer, quite a few interesting insects, and one or two species of bird I wasn't too sure of. Flycatchers tend to be hard to distinguish from each other. I photographed one (bottom right bird) that I have yet to identify. Should I be in the area again I will be sure to visit this place. I can hardly wait to see what new wonders are in store for me.

Of all the birds I saw, and there were many, the Bullock's Oriole surprised me the most. I tend to think of Orioles as species seen only in Eastern North America. The Bullock's range seems to extend throughout most of the western States and just up into BC. It is interesting to note that, according to the range map I found (click here), does not include where this individual was seen. It makes me wonder if the birds are extending their range or if this would be considered an accidental. Of course, the map could just be in need of amendment.

As much as I enjoyed seeing these birds, it saddens me to think that there are few places such as these around for their kind. I am certain that they can be found outside of wildlife preserves, but I imagine they are few and far between. We stayed across the road from the preserve and, during our week there, saw no evidence of any of the birds I mentioned in the camp or surrounding lands. I would like to see more environments set aside for our wildlife to give them a better shot at survival. So few places, so far apart from each other, barely scratches the surface of what their real needs are.

The world needs more wild places.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment