Spring birds at my birdfeeder, 2009.

I have had a "bird garden" up ever since we moved into our house way back in 2002. The above photos were taken within a short period in 2009, almost 12 years ago now. I have nest boxes, feeders, finely crushed gravel, and water for the birds. I try to keep the food and water filled all winter. I have had tree swallows and chickadees nest in the boxes. I have also had other guests, less welcome than my avian friends, in the form of black squirrels and rats. Bears, raccoons, and skunks frequent the area but I have never had a feeder raided by one.

I find the birds are especially fond of black sunflower seeds. These seem to satiate all but the pickiest eaters. Sometimes I put out niger seed; it is preferred by some of the finches. In wintertime I don't use niger seed; instead, I will put out suet. The fat content helps to provide much-needed energy for the birds. I have never, as far as I know, gotten woodpeckers to come. There are quite a few flickers in the area. This year many of them seem to have overwintered here as there has been little snow and above seasonal temperatures.

The greatest problem I have had is the cats. Quite a few of the neighbours have them and give their furry beasts a free rein outdoors. There have been a few birds lost to these killing machines, but the single greatest problem has been them killing the chicks in my nest boxes. They are only in it for the sport; I have found chicks pulled out of their protective nest and left dead on my deck.

I have had to rethink how I feed and shelter the birds. My feeder is now raised on a tall metal pole that the cats can't climb. It is also in an open area where there is no hiding spot for the feline species. If a cat is present, the birds will know. I also put the nest boxes up on a 16 foot pole where they will be safe. Cats are known to be amazing jumpers, so I will wait and see if the poles work or not. Time will tell.

At the moment, all my bird feeders are put away. I took them down after hearing about salmonella affecting the pine siskin population. They will go back up in a week or two after they get a good cleaning.

The birds don't need our help to survive; there is plenty of food available for them in natural areas. I do love having them come visit though. It is wonderful to see them foraging about my lawn and garden looking for a tasty snack. Bon apatite.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.